Office of the Superintendent
Dear Scottsbluff Parents, Students and Community Members,
The work being done in this community is remarkable and I often sit back and marvel at what I see around me – in classrooms, out on our athletic fields and gymnasiums, on performance stages, and throughout our many partnerships with higher education and the business community. This kind of vitality and dedication to children is very special and we all should be very proud of how Scottsbluff steps out and gets it done.
Now in my ninth year here as Superintendent of Schools, I see what’s happening here as nothing short of truly miraculous. Here are some examples of the great work being done throughout the Scottsbluff Public School community:
- Graduation rates have reached all-time highs – Not long ago we brooded over SBPS’ dismal graduation rate of just 71%. Today we have seen our high school graduates reach over 90% for the third year in a row, exceeding many surrounding school districts as well as the Nebraska State average.
- The new Scottsbluff High School provides the best opportunities to students. In fact, I challenge anyone to find a school of any size that does more.. No school I have seen or heard about has the specialized and modern facilities that include health and medical sciences, graphic arts, a professional grade recording studio, live animal bay, greenhouse, graphic arts, early childhood, construction trades, engineering, journalism, art, athletics and fitness, library/media, professional culinary kitchens and more.
- College, dual credit achievement continues to grow with well over 100 students taking college classes on the WNCC campus. Additionally, SBPS students amassed over 1100 college credits last year alone with some approaching full-fledged Associates Degrees while still in high school!
- Newly adopted, robust curriculum has been adopted at all levels with more on the way!
- Technology is fully integrated with all middle and high school students issued their own Chromebooks.
- State and nationally honored students and staff – I could never have imagined that a school district of our relatively small size would include such an array of staff and student honors. Here’s just a small sampling…
- Justin Shaddick, Nebraska’s Career Education Outstanding Secondary Administrator (2018)
- Anne Schmall, Outstanding Nebraska Family and Consumer Sciences Educator (2018) Family and Consumer Education Teacher of the Year, 6-15 Years’ Experience (2017)
- Ashley Hillman Nebraska’s Strings Teacher of the Year (2017)
- Lavon Hood Nebraska’s Business Official of the Year (2017)
- Mike Halley Principal of the Year award from the Region V Nebraska State Association of Secondary School (2017)
- Shelby Aaberg Nebraska’s Teacher of the Year (2015);
- David Griess Nebraska’s Middle Level Outstanding Educator (2015);
- Lincoln Heights A nationally distinguished elementary school (2015);
- The hot streak of SHS State Championships and “near-championships” in athletics is astounding.
- An emerging community partnership, “Every Child, Every Day, Everywhere (3E),” that is engaging an entire city around its children.
- SBPS is a “district in demand” with options-in at an all-time high (since data was initially tracked in 2009).
As the above examples show, this is a fantastic community accomplishing incredible things. Scottsbluff offers youth the opportunities to grow and to excel that exist in very, very few places anywhere.
In fact, during Governor Ricketts’ visit to our high school last fall, he commended our school district’s programming as being, “a model for the State and the Nation!”
And so, congratulations to this staff and to this community and to this student body! This is a tremendous school district that is getting better all the time. I can hardly wait to see what lies ahead and I couldn’t feel more proud and honored to be a part of it all as your superintendent.