Welcome to the Business & Finance Department
Mission and Services
Provide support services for District and patrons through professional and courteous customer service.
The Business Office provides a number of services including:
- Payroll, including direct deposits, insurance administration, deductions, and withholding;
- Accounts Payable including credit card and purchase cards;
- Budgeting aligned with the strategic plan, which strives to provide sound fiscal management;
- Other Finance services: Petty cash, bank deposits, NSF and returned checks, tax exempt forms, property and liability insurance claims filing, processing of expense and mileage reimbursement forms, purchasing, fixed asset administration, accounts receivables for ASP, PK and inter-district transactions, wellness and safety facilitation, VALTS fiscal agent, e-Rate, and grant management.
Message from the Chief Financial Officer
Lavon Hood, Chief Financial Officer
The goal of the Business and Finance Department is to continue to serve students in the most effective and efficient way possible. From a budget perspective, this means we work to minimize the impact of any reductions to education and academics. To do this, we manage the costs of operating the “district” and eliminate or lessen the impact of financial challenges on or in the classroom.
• Ensuring that funds are used to provide programs necessary for student learning
• Ensuring that budget and purchasing decisions are based on district priorities with the top priorities being the education of students, and safety and welfare of students and staff
• Ensuring that purchasing decisions consider Return on Investment (ROI) to maximize the benefit of the district’s investments
• Keeping students first
• Closely examining our expenditures on items that meet our goals and eliminating waste
Business and Finance News
On November 2014, voters approved the passage of a $29.2M bond referendum in order to finance the Scottsbluff High School Renovation. Scottsbluff Public Schools sold $20 million in 25 year bonds in 2015. The remaining $9.2M are slated to be sold in 2016.
Contact Business and Finance
Mrs. Lavon Hood, Chief Financial Officer
1722 First Avenue
Scottsbluff, NE 69361
Phone: (308) 635-6200
Fax: (308) 635-6217
Mrs. Linda Swartzkopf, Accounting/Payroll-Certified
Phone: (308) 635-6207
Mr. Dan Beam, Accounting/Payroll-Classified
Phone: (308) 635-6209
Ms. Darla Schlager, Human Resources
Phone: (308) 635-6202
Ms. Chelsi Fry, Bookkeeping/Purchasing
Phone: (308) 635-6223