This year, in-person registration will be held by appointment only in all elementary schools. Registration will be held at the elementary school in the family’s attendance area. If you reside in Scottsbluff and unsure of your attendance area, a map is available at www.sbps.net/map where you can enter your address to determine the school your child will attend.
The Scottsbluff Bear Cub Preschool is also holding registration by appointment for 3 and 4 year olds at the same time at the preschool stadium location which is located at 2512 2nd Avenue, between Scottsbluff High School and Bluffs Middle School. Registration packets can be downloaded at www.sbps.net/preschool.
The Sixpence Early Childhood Program has immediate openings for qualifying families with children ages birth to three. To apply or receive information about this no-cost program, visit www.sbps.net/sixpence.
Parents are reminded that:
1. A student must be registered by the parent/guardian of the child.
2. A copy of the State Certified birth certificate is needed for registration.
3. Nebraska statute (79-214) requires that immunization, physicals, and visual examinations must be completed and a record provided to the school before the child enters kindergarten. Preschool requires a record of up to date immunizations. If these records are not provided prior to the first day of school, the student will not be admitted. The physical and visual examinations must be completed within 6 months prior to entrance
4. Proof of address (such as a current driver’s license, utility bill, etc.)
5. A student must be 5 years of age on or before July 31, 2021 for kindergarten. Children who will be 3 or 4 years of age by this date are eligible for Preschool. Families of children ages birth to 3 can apply for the Sixpence program.
6. Parents interested in registering for Scottsbluff Bear Cub Preschool can download forms at www.sbps.net/preschool and return them to the Scottsbluff Bear Cub Preschool office at the stadium location or the SBPS District Office (after-hours dropbox).
7. For Scottsbluff families with students turning 5 years old between July 31 and Oct 1, information on early admission is available at www.sbps.net.
It is important that parents/guardians complete this registration as soon as possible so planning can be completed for next year’s kindergarten and preschool classes.
Parents with questions should contact the elementary school in their attendance area or Bear Cub Preschool.
Early Kindergarten Admission
Early Kindergarten Admission
Beginning with the 2012-2013 school year, students must reach the age of five years on or before July 31 in order to be admitted to the fall Kindergarten class. If your child will reach the age of five on or after August 1 and on or before October 15 a parent or guardian may apply for Early Kindergarten Admission. Applications for Early Kindergarten Admission are available below, or can be obtained at the Central Office, and in each elementary building. In order for the school district to provide the necessary student assessments required for early admission, applications must be received in the central office (1722 1st Ave) no later than 4:00 PM February 26, 2021 for the 2021-2022 school year. Once the application is received, this process will include a parent interview and the administration of two assessments by district personnel (the Young Children's Achievement Test and the Behavioral Assessment System for Children). The process may also include an observation of the child, and a recommendation from the current preschool or child care provider. Once the student has been assessed, results will be provided to the parent/guardian and placement will be discussed. If your child's birth date falls between the August and October dates stated above, it is not too early to begin the process if you feel your child is capable of carrying the work of Kindergarten.