Advanced Placement U. S. History Mr. Largo
Two Semesters – Ten Credits
The Advanced Placement United States History course and exam are intended for qualified students who wish to complete studies in secondary school equivalent to college introductory courses in U. S. history. The exam presumes at least one academic year of college-level preparation. This course will be a survey of United States history from pre-Columbian America to the present. The pace will be rapid and much outside work will be expected, far more than a typical SHS history class.
- To analyze conflicting primary source documents and draw conclusions from them regarding their validity, why they differ, etc.
- To analyze historical materials with an eye to assessing their relevance to a given interpretive problem, their reliability and their importance.
- To provide students with analytical skills and factual knowledge necessary to deal critically with problems in United States history
- To survey United States history from the pre-Columbian period to the present
Course Requirements and Expectations:
This course will be taught, as virtually every college level introductory U. S. History course is taught, through a lecture format. However, you will be expected to participate in a variety of ways throughout the semester. You will be expected to:
- listen during the portion of the period when either the instructor or another student is talking
- critically view video material
- respect the rights of other students
- be prepared for many tests, quizzes and other types of projects
- be prepared to make oral presentations to class
- be prepared to work independently , as well as in groups, on various projects
- be responsible for getting all written work turned in on the day the assignment is due. A ten percent [10%] deduction will be made from the final grade for each day an assignment is late. If more points are taken from a paper, due to lateness, than the paper is worth, the surplus deduction will be subtracted from accumulated points to that point in the semester.
- be on time to class.
- be prepared to read materials distributed throughout the semester. Always be prepared to be tested over these readings!
- be prepared to work in class on the topic of the day. This will entail having a pen or pencil, paper and your text. You should not expect to borrow materials from your classmates. If you are unable to obtain a pen or pencil, you are welcome to borrow one from the instructor. Make sure you have some method of keeping all your notes and other materials together as you will need them for the final exam.
The following items should be borne ion mind throughout the semester to ensure your academic success:
- Exams and quizzes will be announced far enough in advance to give you plenty of time to prepare for them. There are no retakes for exams or quizzes so prepare for them the first time!
- Make-up work is your responsibility. If you are gone only the day of the exam or quiz, please plan to take the assessment the next day you are in class. This is the only time you will be able to utilize class time to make up missed work. If you choose not to take the make-up at that time, you will have to come in before or after school or during an open hour to complete the work. If at all possible, complete the make-up work within a week. The longer you wait to complete the work, the more likely it is that your memory will fade.
- The following grading scale will be used to determine your grades during the semester:
- 90 - 100 = A
- 80 - 89 = B
- 70 - 79 = C
- 60 - 69 = D
- 59 and below = F
- Your grade will be available on Infinite Campus at any time and will also be provided to you each time you take an assessment. Make-up work, if any, will also be noted at that time.
If you need help at any time throughout the semester, please feel free to contact me. I am here early in the morning and am available after school as well. I will be more than happy to help you in any way that I can.
Should you need to contact me outside of the traditional school day, my e-mail address is: email@example.com
Have a great year!