What's Great about Longfellow Elementary?
School Start and End Times
School Start Time: 7:50 AM
School Dismissed: 3:15 PM
Check out this video about Metacognition at Longfellow!
Return to School Procedures
Beginning the Day
- Breakfast will be served in the cafeteria from 7:20 a.m. – 7:40 a.m. Students come in the door on 21st Street near the cafeteria to eat breakfast.
- Bus students enter in the front door. Masks will be distributed on the bus. Students will go to the playground through the door nearest the cafeteria to the playground to wait until 7:40.
- At 7:40 students enter the playground using the gate from the parking lot or other gates to the playground. At this time students will be provided a mask and will get into their class line.
- Students should not arrive at school prior to 7:40. Students will NOT be monitored until 7:40 a.m. Students will not be provided a mask until they enter the playground. Please do not send your student to school prior to 7:40 a.m.
- Students will enter the building at 7:50 a.m.
- Masks will be provided by the district. They are cloth masks. There will be five masks per student.
- Students will be provided a lanyard to clip their mask to so that they can take them off without losing them. The lanyards will have their name and are break away so that students will not get injured.
- Masks will be collected at the end of the day beside the door they exit so that we can send them to be cleaned.
- Students who refuse to wear masks will be provided an alternative learning placement.
- Students will be allowed to go outside for recess. Students are not required to wear masks outside on the playground. Students will be encouraged to social distance during this time. Masks will be optional outside.
- Mid-morning and mid-afternoon recess will be by grade level.
- Lunch recess has 5 minute overlaps with another grade level.
- Students will be required to wear masks in the hallway as they move to PE, Music, Science, Library, recess, lunch, dismissal, etc.
- Students will be monitored in restrooms to be certain this is not a gathering place and safety procedures (hand washing, dispensing of paper towels, flushing toilets, etc.) are being followed.
- Bottle fillers have been installed at every drinking fountain at Longfellow. Students will be provided drink bottles by the district. Students will be provided an opportunity to fill their bottles at these locations. Students will be responsible for cleaning and care of this water bottle. Students can provide a water bottle from home. Only water will be allowed in the water bottle.
- Students in grades K, 1, 2, and 5 will eat in the cafeteria.
- Students in grades 3 and 4 will eat in their classrooms with supervision before they go outside for recess.
- This provides the opportunity to distance kids while they eat.
- Our day will end at 3:15 p.m.
- Students will not have masks as they leave unless they are provided from home so that we can keep them at school to be cleaned.
- We will attempt a staggered dismissal schedule of just a couple of minutes between 3:05 – 3:10 so that students are not waiting with groups of students when being dismissed.
- Masks will be worn by students on the bus and waiting in the bus line after dismissal.
Safety and Sanitation
- Temperatures of students will be taken daily. If a student has a temperature of 100.4 or higher they will need to leave school and will be unable to return for minimally 24 hours or until they have been fever free without medication for 24 hours.
- Restrooms will be sanitized every 2 hours by our maintenance staff.
- Classrooms will be sanitized by maintenance staff frequently.
- Classrooms will be provided Clorox/Disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer for students to use frequently.
- School supplies will not be shared. Please bring a pencil box for your child to hold their supplies.
- Visitors will not be permitted in the building to visit classrooms, have lunch with students, etc.
- Visitors will be allowed on the playground with masks or social distancing.
- Food items baked at home will not be permitted to distribute to students.
- Visitors will be required to wear masks when coming to the office to check students in the building or out of the building. If you don’t bring a mask in the building one will be provided to you.
We will not be hosting a school wide Back to School Meet and Greet at Longfellow this year.
Class lists will be posted on the windows along 21st Street on August 14, 2020 after 5:00 p.m.
A Remind notice was sent to all families to indicate if you plan to enroll in the Online Learning Program. You need to respond to this message by August 9 if you plan to enroll in the Online Learning Program.
If you have questions or concerns regarding any of this information, please do not hesitate to contact Longfellow.
STUDENT DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP
Traffic and parking along 21st Street will be changed during student drop-off and pick-up times. Short term parking (2 minutes or less) will be allowed along the south side of 21st Street between 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue during student drop-off and pick-up. The intent is for the parent to stay in the vehicle and to park long enough for the student to safely exit/enter the vehicle, after which the parent will vacate the parking space.
Barricades will be used at 6th Avenue to delineate a protected crosswalk from the northeast corner of the intersection with 21st Street, south to the school sidewalk. This protected crosswalk will be in place during the hours of student drop-off and pick-up. During student drop-off and pick-up times east bound traffic on 21st will only be allowed to make a left-hand turn on to 21st Avenue (north bound).
Parking along the south side of 21st Street between 6th Avenue and 7th Avenue will be limited to daycare van parking during student drop-off and pick-up. The north side of 21st Street in this location will be teacher parking only.
Traffic on 7th Avenue will not be allowed to turn (west bound) on to 21st Street during drop-off and pick-up. Barricades will be used at 21st Street to delineate a protected crosswalk on the west side of 7th Avenue and 21st to prevent west bound traffic from entering during student drop-off and pick-up times.
General instructions for student drop-off and pick-up:
From 5th Avenue, enter 21st Street east bound and pull up to the south yellow curb as far to the east as there is space and allow the student to exit/enter from the right side of the vehicle. The driver shall remain in the vehicle and once the student is safely on the sidewalk, proceed east to 6th Street, turning left (north) on to 6th Avenue.
Parents who wish to park and walk their kids to the school playground or park and walk up to pick up their kids after school need to park in the blue areas shown around the school.